MCCI Catena® 4612 Integrated Node for LoRaWAN® technology
The MCCI Catena® 4612 is a complete single-board IoT device for LoRaWAN® technology projects. It combines CPU, radio and integrated sensors.
Based on the Murata CMWX1ZZABZ-078, and designed to be compatible with the Adafruit Feather family of development boards and accessories, the Catena 4612 is a great platform for LoRaWAN investigation and deployment. It works well with The Things Network, or any LoRaWAN 1.0 or 1.1 network in the 865 to 923 MHz range.
Lightweight and small (roughly 2" by 0.9"), the 4612 needs no external components to measure and send temperature, pressure, humidity, and lux, powered from USB or two AAA cells.
Because of the embedded FRAM, the Catena 4612 fully meets the requirements of LoRaWAN 1.1, without worrying about EEPROM wearout or wear-leveling, both for ABP and OTAA.
Specifications and FeaturesMurata LoRaWAN module
- Semtech SX1276 LoRa radio
- STM32L082 CPU (Cortex M0+, 32 MHz, 192K flash, 20K RAM)
- High quality RF engineering
- Certified for US and EU
- Compatible with IN866, AS923, AU921 bands
- Pressure, temperature, and humidity (Bosch BME280)
- Incident light (Silicon Labs Si1133, measuring IR, white light, and UV)
- Powered from primary (disposable) batteries (such as 2x AAA cells) (Note: in contrast to the Catena 4610, there is no charger in this model. If you need rechargeable batteries, please consider the 4610).
- 22uA current draw in stand by
- 8K bytes FRAM for LoRaWAN provisioning info and frame counters -- power can be removed completely without requiring a new join to the network, and without losing uplink and downlink count values (required for LoRaWAN 1.1)
- 1M byte SPI Flash for bulk data storage, future FoTA firmware storage, etc.
- Software-controlled boost converter allows dynamically raising voltage to 3.3V for analog measurement and powering internal sensors
- USB or SWD for download and debug
- Pin-compatible with Adafruit Feather M0 family of boards (some limitations because the of functional differences between the Murata module and the Atmel SAMD21 CPU used in the Feather M0)
- Compatible with the MCCI Catena 4450 and Catena 4610 IoT devices
- Designed for use with The Things Network (open-source, user-owned IoT network based on LoRaWAN); but can be used with any LoRaWAN-compatible network
- Provisions for screw terminals for pulse, analog or digital I/O
- Software-controlled switches for external power output to screw terminals
- Whip, u.FL, or SMA antenna
- Open source hardware and software (https://github.com/mcci-catena)
MCCI also provides libraries to allow rapid prototyping and experimenting, including an open-source LoRaWAN stack that supports the EU868, US915, AS923, AU915, KR920 and IN866 regional plans.
ST Micro tools may also be used.The Catena 4612 works well with and is tested with The Things Network (an open-source, user-owned IoT network based on LoRaWAN); but can be used with any LoRaWAN-compatible network.
Pricing and Availability
The Catena 4612 is available now. MCCI offers several variants.
- The basic board ("BASIC"): ships with 12 and 16-pin terminal strips, unassembled, with U.FL connector pre-mounted.
- The do-it-yourself developer board ("DIY"): same as BASIC (with terminal strips and antennas), adding screw terminals, AAA battery clip, and two industrial AAA batteries. Works with US, Europe, Asia-923, India, and Australian band plans.
- The contact monitoring system ("M101"): assembled unit for monitoring up to four contact closures, with screw terminals, 2xAAA battery clip and whip antenna.
- The environmental monitoring system ("M102"): assembled unit for monitoring one or more external Dallas Semiconductor "One Wire" sensors and/or a soil humidity/temperature sensor, with screw terminals, 2xAAA battery clip, and whip antenna; for mounting in Stephenson screen (not included). Note that the BME280 sensor is not suitable for use in condensing environments.
For assembled units, variant codes select dedicated antennas for US915/AS923/AU923, EU868, or IN866 operation. Some models are available with U.FL or SMA connectors for use with external antenna. Contact us for more details.
Volume discounts and custom variants are available. Contact MCCI via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance.