Mixed-Reality HMD Exerciser
The Windows Mixed-Reality Head Mounted Display (MR HMD) Exerciser Kit is a hardware and software package that automates the validation of Mixed Reality HMDs and PCs. Key functions include HDMI and USB plug/unplug testing, HMD display and audio monitoring, and user presence spoofing. The exerciser kit provides instructions and guidelines to create a best-in-class HMD.
The Windows Mixed-Reality HMD Exerciser Kit consists of the following:
- HMD Exerciser
- Arduino-compatible Main Board
- Custom Hardware: Arduino Shields, Cables, and PCBs
- Microsoft software tools and libraries, available at aka.ms/HMDexerciser
- Microsoft documentation available at aka.ms/HMDexerciser.
- MCCI open-source Arduino BSP and libraries available from portal.mcci.com and github.com/mcci-catena.
Note: the Windows Mixed Reality HMD Exerciser Kit extends the Microsoft USB Test Tool (MUTT) Connection Exerciser (also known as the MCCI Model 3101), so the documentation and tooling might occasionally mention Connection Exerciser, ConnEx, or Model 3101.
HMD Exerciser Overview
The HMD Exerciser consists of an Arduino-compatible base and three stacked add-on boards called Shields. Together, these are referred to as the HMD Exerciser Main Board. Accompanying this is a separate board designed to fit inside of the HMD. This board is referred to as the HMD Tester.
Below is a simplified diagram of how the HMD Exerciser Main Board and the HMD Tester connect to the HMD and the System Under Test:
The HMD Exerciser Kit hardware enables the following functionality out-of-the-box:
- USB connect/disconnect and multiplexing
- HDMI connect/disconnect and multiplexing
- Display panel brightness and color monitoring for two displays
- Audio level monitoring
- User presence spoofing
- HMD USB current and voltage monitoring
- Dual servo control
The platform is also extensible, allowing new features through additional shields stacked on the HMD Exerciser Main Board.
The first run of HMD Exercisers has been produced and verified by Microsoft. The production run is now being processed, and MCCI is accepting pre-orders with anticipated delivery starting in mid-April.