MCCI Catena® 4610 Integrated Node for LoRaWAN™ technology
The MCCI Catena® 4610 is a complete single-board IoT device for LoRaWAN™ technology projects.
Based on the Murata CMWX1ZZABZ-078, and designed to be compatible with the Adafruit Feather family of development boards and accessories, the Catena 4610 is a great platform for LoRaWAN investigation and deployment. It works well with The Things Network, or any LoRaWAN 1.0 or 1.1 network in the 865 to 923 MHz range.
Lightweight and small (roughly 2" by 0.9"), the 4610 needs no external components to measure and send temperature, pressure, humidity, and lux, powered from USB or any Feather-compatible LiPo (Lithium-Polymer) battery.
Because of the embedded FRAM, the Catena 4610 fully meets the requirements of LoRaWAN 1.1, without worrying about EEPROM wearout or wear-leveling, both for ABP and OTAA.
Specifications and Features
- Semtech SX1276 LoRa radio
- STM32L082 CPU (Cortex M0+, 32 MHz, 192K flash, 20K RAM)
- High quality RF engineering
- Certified for US and EU
- Compatible with IN866, AS923, AU921 bands
- Powered from secondary 4V LiPo batteries (such as Adafruit's 350 mAh battery) (Note: in contrast to the Catena 4612, this model targets LiPo batteries only. If you need primary/disposable batteries, please consider the 4612).
- 100uA current draw in stand by
- 8K bytes FRAM for LoRaWAN provisioning info and frame counters -- power can be removed completely without requiring a new join to the network, and without losing uplink and downlink count values (required for LoRaWAN 1.1)
- 1M byte SPI Flash for bulk data storage, future FoTA firmware storage, etc.
- Software-controlled boost converter allows dynamically raising voltage to 3.3V for analog measurement and powering internal sensors
- USB or SWD for download and debug
- Pin-compatible with Adafruit Feather M0 family of boards (some limitations because the of functional differences between the Murata module and the Atmel SAMD21 CPU used in the Feather M0)
- Compatible with the MCCI Catena 4450 and Catena 4612 IoT devices
- Designed for use with The Things Network (open-source, user-owned IoT network based on LoRaWAN); but can be used with any LoRaWAN-compatible network
- Provisions for screw terminals for pulse, analog or digital I/O
- Software-controlled switches for external power output to screw terminals
- Whip, u.FL, or SMA antenna
- Open source hardware and software (https://github.com/mcci-catena)
MCCI also provides libraries to allow rapid prototyping and experimenting, including an open-source LoRaWAN stack that supports the EU868, US915, AS923, AU921 and IN866 regional plans.
ST Micro tools may also be used.
The Catena 4610 works well with and is tested with The Things Network (an open-source, user-owned IoT network based on LoRaWAN); but can be used with any LoRaWAN-compatible network.
Pricing and Availability
The Catena 4610 is available now. MCCI offers several variants.
- The basic board ("BASIC"): ships with 12 and 16-pin terminal strips, unassembled. User attaches antenna (and terminal strips if desired). Whip antennas suitable for 868 MHz, 915 MHz, and 865 MHz operation are supplied. It's also available with U.FL connector pre-mounted.
- The do-it-yourself developer board ("DIY"): same as BASIC (with terminal strips and antennas), adding screw terminals, 350 mAh LiPo battery, stacking hardware, baseplate, and SMT resistors for termination of external inputs. Works with US, Europe, Asia-923, India, and Australian band plans. Factory-assembled version comes with antenna attached and hardware assembled (screw terminals, terminal strips, and SMT resistors shipped loose).
- The contact monitoring system ("M101"): assembled unit for monitoring up to four contact closures, with screw terminals, 350 mAh LiPo battery, and whip antenna.
- The environmental monitoring system ("M102"): assembled unit for monitoring one or more external Dallas Semiconductor "One Wire" sensors and/or a soil humidity/temperature sensor, with screw terminals, 350 mAh LiPo battery, and whip antenna; for mounting in Stephenson screen (not included).
For assembled units, variant codes select dedicated antennas for US915/AS923/AU923, EU868, or IN866 operation. Some models are available with U.FL or SMA connectors for use with external antenna. Contact us for more details.
Volume discounts and custom variants are available. Contact MCCI via email (email@example.com) for assistance.