MCCI Catena® 4618 Integrated Node for LoRaWAN® technology
Note: due to a fire at a semiconductor fab in Japan, the LoRaWAN module used in many MCCI IoT products is very hard to obtain. Please contact MCCI via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for current information on price and delivery of these products.
The MCCI Catena® 4618 is a complete single-board IoT device with integrated SHT31-DIS-F IP66-rated temperature/humidity and Si1133 light sensors for LoRaWAN® technology projects. The 4618 M201 variant uses the higher-accuracy SHT35-DIS-F IP66-rated temperature/humidity sensor.
Based on the Murata CMWX1ZZABZ-078, and designed to be compatible with the Adafruit Feather family of development boards and accessories, the Catena 4618 is a great platform for LoRaWAN investigation and deployment. It works well with The Things Network, or any LoRaWAN 1.0 or 1.1 network in the 865 to 923 MHz range.
Lightweight and small (roughly 2" by 0.9"), the 4618 needs no external components to measure and send temperature, humidity, and light, powered from USB or two AAA cells.
Because of the embedded FRAM, the Catena 4618 fully meets the requirements of LoRaWAN 1.1, without worrying about EEPROM wearout or wear-leveling, both for ABP and OTAA.
Specifications and Features
A complete datasheet is available here.
Murata LoRaWAN module
- Semtech SX1276 LoRa radio
- STM32L082 CPU (Cortex M0+, 32 MHz, 192K flash, 20K RAM)
- High quality RF engineering
- Certified for US and EU
- Also compatible with IN866, AS923, AU915, KR920 regions
- Temperature and Humidity (using the IP-66 rated, rugged, accurate Sensirion SHT31-DIS-F or SHT35-DIS-F sensors). Typical performance:
Parameter SHT31 SHT35 Units Humidity accuracy ±2 ±1.5 %RH Humidity resolution 0.01 0.01 %RH Humidity repeatability (high res) 0.08 0.08 %RH Temperature accuracy ±0.2 ±0.1 °C Temperature resolution 0.01 0.01 °C Temperature repeatability (high res) 0.04 0.04 °C
- Incident light (Silicon Labs Si1133, measuring IR, white light, and UV)
- Powered from primary (disposable) batteries (such as 2x AAA cells) (Note: in contrast to the Catena 4610, there is no charger in this model. If you need rechargeable batteries, please consider the 4610).
- 30uA current draw in stand by
- 8K bytes FRAM for LoRaWAN provisioning info and frame counters -- power can be removed completely without requiring a new join to the network, and without losing uplink and downlink count values (required for LoRaWAN 1.1)
- 1M byte SPI Flash for bulk data storage, storage for FUOTA ("firmware update over the air") downloads, etc.
- Software-controlled boost converter allows dynamically raising voltage to 3.3V for analog measurement and powering internal sensors
- USB or SWD for download and debug
- Pin-compatible with Adafruit Feather M0 family of boards (some limitations because the of functional differences between the STM32L01 CPU used in the Murata module and the Atmel SAMD21 CPU used in the Feather M0)
- Compatible with the MCCI Catena 4610 , 4612, 4450, 4470 and 4801 IoT devices
- Designed for use with The Things Network (open-source, user-owned IoT network based on LoRaWAN); but can be used with any LoRaWAN-compatible network
- Provisions for screw terminals for pulse, analog or digital I/O
- Software-controlled switches for external power output to screw terminals
- Whip, u.FL, or SMA antenna
- Open source hardware and software (https://github.com/mcci-catena)
MCCI provides a full Arduino board-support package, available here.
MCCI also provides libraries to allow rapid prototyping and experimenting, including an open-source LoRaWAN stack that supports the EU868, US915, AS923, AU921 and IN866 regional plans.
ST Micro tools may also be used.The Catena 4618 works well with and is tested with The Things Network (an open-source, user-owned IoT network based on LoRaWAN); but can be used with any LoRaWAN-compatible network.
Pricing and Availability
The Catena 4618 is available now. MCCI offers several variants.
- The basic board ("BASIC"): ships with U.FL connector for external antenna. Ships with 12 and 16-pin terminal strips, unassembled. User attaches antenna (and terminal strips if desired).
Note: No antenna is supplied with the BASIC-UFL model. If ordered for a specific region, a suitable whip antenna is supplied (either 915 MHz or 868 MHz).
- The do-it-yourself developer board ("DIY"): same as BASIC (with terminal strips and U.FL connector), adding screw terminals, AAA battery clip, and two industrial AAA batteries. Works with US, Europe, Asia-923, India, Australian, and KR920 regions. If ordered for a specific region, a suitable whip antenna is supplied (either 915 MHz or 868 MHz).
- The environmental monitoring system ("M102"): assembled unit for monitoring one or more external Dallas Semiconductor "One Wire" sensors and/or a soil humidity/temperature sensor, with screw terminals, 2xAAA battery clip, and U.FL whip antenna; for mounting in Stephenson screen (not included).
For assembled units, variant codes select U.FL (no antenna), or dedicated antennas for US915/AS923/AU915/KR920, or EU868/IN866 operation. The 4618 can also be special-ordered with an SMA connector. Contact us for more details.
Volume discounts and custom variants are available. Contact MCCI via email (email@example.com) for assistance.